Graduated with honours
Postgraduate Medical Education - Cardiology
University of Alberta
Postgraduate Medical Education - Internal Medicine
University of Calgary
MSc Clinical Trials
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Undergraduate Medical Degree
National University of Ireland, Galway
Clinical Trials Coordinator
University of Alberta
Responsible for the day-to-day management of clinical trials in the division of cardiology. Responsibilities include: screening patients, enrolling patients, consenting patients, data collection, data entry, ethics application and liaison with sponsors.
Responsible for creating new content and editing existing information for this USMLE Step 2 product that is highly valued by medical students.
Responsible for the creation of medical content for PocketBody (an iPad anatomy product) application.
2019 CCS-Bayer Resident Vascular Award - $20,000
2019 CCS-Bayer Resident Vascular Award - $15,000
2017 University of Calgary Internal Medicine Resident Wellness Award
2017 University of Calgary PGME Resident Research Travel Grant
2016 University of Calgary PGME Resident Research Travel Grant
2015 Vasco da Gama Movement Student Scholarship
2014 dotMED MPS Student Scholarship
2014 Canadian Medical Association “Leadership begins with self awareness”
2014 INMED 7th Annual Scientific Meeting ‘Best Student Poster’
2013 Canadian Cardiovascular Society Academy Have a Heart Bursary Award
2013 NUI Galway University Scholar
2013 AIHS Summer Studentship Award
2012 CIHR Health Professional Student Research Award
2012 WestREN MSD Research Bursary
2012 NUI Galway University Scholar
Trainee Editorial Board Member
Responsible for peer review of manuscripts within scope of expertise.
Social Media Editor
Responsible for the creation of content for use of the journals' social media accounts.
Canadian Journal of Cardiology
Editorial Board Member
Responsible for consulting on journal issue and providing timely and high-quality review of manuscripts
CCS Fitness to Drive and Fly Guideline Committee
Active (non-voting) participant in the development of the 2021 guideline.
CCS Trainee Committee
Outreach Team Leader
Responsible for developing and implementing a social media strategy that actively engages our members and facilitates the dissemination of information.
An active peer reviewer for several journals including: Canadian Medical Association Journal, Medical Education, Journal of General Internal Medicine, British Journal of General Internal Medicine, Medical Student Research Journal and the International Journal of Medical Students. In addition have worked with Wiley-Blackwell and Oxford University Press, providing feedback on drafts of medical related textbooks and providing a student perspective. Publons profile available at https://publons.com/author/449648/pishoy-gouda#
University of Calgary Admissions Committee
Participated in file review for the undergraduate MD program and the Internal Medicine Residency Program at the University of Calgary.
Association of Medical Students in Ireland
Founding member of this newly established national organisation which aims to represent Irish medical students on a national and international level, promote student well-being and increase collaboration between Irish medical institutions.
NUI Galway Medical Society
Responsible for the overall organisation and day to day running of the society. Our events included a range of social, academic and charitable activities. In addition, served at the education officer in 2012-2013, the medical advisor the Union of Students in Ireland 2013-2014 and held the position of class representative from 2011-2015.
- Gouda P, Steinhubl S. How Digital Health Will Deliver Precision Medicine. Digital Health: Scaling Healthcare to the World. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-61446-5_14.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Gouda P, Alemayehu W, Rathwell S, Paterson DI, Anderson T, Dyck JR, Howlett JG, Oudit GY, McAlister FA, Thompson RB, Ezekowitz J. Clinical Phenotypes of Heart Failure across the spectrum of Ejection Fraction: A Cluster Analysis. Current Problems in Cardiology. 2022 Nov 1;47(11):101337.
- Gouda P, Ezekowitz J. Harnessing Electronic Medical Records in Cardiovascular Clinical Practice and Research. Journal of Cardiovascular Translational Research. 2022 Sep 14:1-1.
- Wu KY*, Gouda P*, Wang X, Graham MM. Association of Frailty, Age, Socioeconomic Status, and Type of Surgery With Perioperative Outcomes in Patients Undergoing Noncardiac Surgery. JAMA Network Open. 2022 Jul 1;5(7):e2224625-.
- Gouda P, Kay R, Habib M, Aziz A, Aziza E, Welsh R. Clinical features and complications of Loeys-Dietz syndrome: A systematic review. International Journal of Cardiology. 2022.
- Gouda P, Wang X, Youngson E, McGillion M, Mamas MA, Graham MM. Beyond the revised cardiac risk index: Validation of the hospital frailty risk score in non-cardiac surgery. Plos one. 2022 Jan 19;17(1):e0262322.
- Gouda P, Dover DC, Savu A, Bainey K, Goodman SG, Welsh R, Kaul P, Sandhu RK. Long-Term Outcomes for Patients With Acute Coronary Syndrome and Nonvalvular Atrial Fibrillation. The American journal of cardiology. 2022.
- Harrington J*, Gouda P*, Ezekowitz J, Mentz RJ. Exploring the pragmatic-explanatory spectrum across cardiovascular clinical trials. Contemporary clinical trials. 2022 Feb 1;113:106646.
- Gouda P, Zheng S, Peters T, Fudim M, Randhawa VK, Ezekowitz J, Mavrakanas TA, Giannetti N, Tsoukas M, Lopes R, Sharma A. Clinical Phenotypes in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: Characteristics, Cardiovascular Outcomes and Treatment Strategies. Current heart failure reports. 2021 Aug 24:1-1.
- Gouda P, Ganni E, Chung P, Randhawa V.K, Marquis-Gravel G, Avram R, Ezekowitz J, Sharma A. 2021. Feasibility of Incorporating Voice Technology and Virtual Assistants in Cardiovascular Care and Clinical Trials. Current Cardiovascular Risk Reports, 15(8), pp.1-8.
- Gouda P, Ramasundarahettige C, Anand S, Muhlhoffer E, Berkowitz S, Fox K, Eikelboom J, Welsh R. 2021. Clinical factors associated with peripheral artery disease in patients with documented coronary artery disease: A post hoc analysis of the COMPASS trial. Atherosclerosis.
- Gouda P, Savu A, Bainey K, Kaul P, Welsh R. 2021. Long-term risk of death and recurrent cardiovascular events following acute coronary syndromes. PloS one, 16(7), p.e0254008.
- Aziz H*, Gouda P*, Sharma A. 2021. Vericiguat in the Management of Heart failure with Reduced Ejection Fraction. European Heart Journal-Cardiovascular Pharmacotherapy. *Denotes Co-authorship
- Gouda P, Wang X, McGillion M, Graham M. 2021. Underutilization of perioperative screening for cardiovascular events after noncardiac surgery in Alberta. Canadian Journal of Cardiology, 37(1), pp.57-65.
- Gouda P, Sivakumaran S, Senaratne J. 2020. Electrical organization of torsades de pointes into monomorphic ventricular tachycardia. European Heart Journal: Case Reports, 4(6), p.1.
- Gouda P, Welsh R, Padarath M, Grégoire, J, Hegele R, Gupta M. 2020. Landscape of Lipid Management Following an Acute Coronary Syndrome Event: Survey of Canadian Specialists. CJC open, 2(6), pp.625-631.
- Gouda P, Paterson C, Meyer S, Shanks M, Butler C, Taylor D, Tyrell B, Welsh R. Effects of Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation on Frailty and Quality of Life. CJC Open. 2020.
- Sepehrvand N, Alemaychu W, Das D, Gupta A, Gouda P Ezekowitz J. Underrepresentation of women in cardiovascular randomized clinical trials. Canadian Journal of Cardiology 36.6 (2020): 969-e7.
- Sepehrvand N, Alemaychu W, Das D, Gupta A, Gouda P, Ghimire A, Du A, Hatami S, Babadagli H, Verma S, Kashour Z, Ezekowitz J. Trends in the Explanatory or Pragmatic Nature of Cardiovascular Clinical Trials Over two Decades. JAMA cardiology 2019 Nov 1;4(11):1122-8.
- Quer G, Gouda P, Galarnyk M, Topol E, Steinhibl S. Inter-and intraindividual variability in daily resting heart rate and its associations with age, sex, sleep, BMI, and time of year: Retrospective, longitudinal cohort study of 92,457 adults. Plos one 15.2 (2020): e0227709.
- Gouda P, Ezekowitz J. Update on the Diagnosis and Management of Acute Heart Failure. Current Opinion in Cardiology. 2019. 1;34(2):202-6.
- Gouda P, O'Flynn S, Cantillon P. Desires versus Reality of Medical and Health Science Summer Student Research Opportunities. Irish Journal of Medical Science. 2018 Aug 1;187(3):817-20.
- Gouda P, Ezekowitz J. Insights on the use of Twitter at the Canadian Cardiovascular Congress. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2018 Jun 1;34(6):813-e7.
- Gouda P, Kirk A, Sweeney A, O'Donovan D. Attitudes of medical Students Towards Volunteering in Emergency Situations. Disaster medicine and Public Health Preparedness. 2019
- Gouda P, Veenhuyzen G, Har B. Fifty-year old woman with lightheadedness. Heart. 2017 Aug 1;103(15):1224
- Gouda P, Weilovitch L, Kanani R, Har B. Case Report and Review of Nonischemic Spontaneous Papillary Muscle Rupture Between 2000 and 2015. Echocardiography. 2017 May;34(5):786-90.
- Gouda P, Gouda J, Butler C, Welsh R. Late Presentation of an Anomalous Left Coronary Artery from the Pulmonary Artery treated with Conservative Surgical Management with Long-term Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging Follow-up. SAGE Open Medical Case Reports. 2017 Feb 23;5:2050313X17695719.
- Gouda P, Das D, Clark A, Ezekowitz J. The Impact and Implications of Twitter for Cardiovascular Medicine. Journal of cardiac failure. 2017 Mar 1;23(3):266-7.
- Cronin T, Gouda P, McDonald C, Hallahan B. A comparison of mental health legislation in five developed countries: A narrative review. Irish Journal of Psychological Medicine. Irish Journal of Psychological Medicine. 2017 Dec;34(4):261-9.
- Gouda P, Brown P, Rowe B, McAlister F, Ezekowitz J. Insights into the Importance of the Electrocardiogram in Patients with Acute Heart Failure. European journal of heart failure, 18(8), 1032-1040.
- Gouda P, Chua J, Langan D, Hannon T, Scott A, O'Regan A. A Decade of Domiciliary Non-Invasive Ventilation in the West of Ireland. Irish Journal of Medical Science. 2017 May 1;186(2):505-10.
- Gouda P, Fanous S, Sloane P, Murphy A. Medical Student and General Practitioner Perceptions of Challenges in General Practice in Ireland. Irish medical journal. 2016 May 10;109(5):412-.
- Gouda P, Cormican M. Virtual Sorting Hat Technology for Matching of Candidates to Residency Training Programs. Medical education. 2016 Dec;50(12):1249-52.
- Gouda P, Kitt K, Evans D, Goggin D, McGrath D, Last J, Hennessy M, Arnett R, O’Flynn S, Dunne F, O’Donovan D. Push and Stay Factors affecting Irish Medical Student Migration Intentions. Irish Journal of Medical Science. 2017 Feb 1;186(1):25-31.
- Gouda P, Kitt K, Evans D, Goggin D, McGrath D, Last J, Hennessy M, Arnett R, O’Flynn S, Dunne F, O’Donovan D. Medical Student Understanding of Irish Intern Year. Irish Medical Journal. 2016 Apr 11;109(4):387.
- STARSurg Collaborative (Site Lead - Gouda P) (2016). Multicentre prospective cohort study of body mass index and postoperative complications following gastrointestinal surgery. British Journal of Surgery. 2016 Aug;103(9):1157-72.
- Gouda P, Fanous S, Gouda J, Boland J, Geoghegan R. Paediatric Learning in a Clinical Attachment: Undergraduate Medical Students’ Perspectives. Irish Journal of Medical Science. 2016 May 1;185(2):413-21.
- Niethammer K, Gouda P, Moylett E. A Pilot Study of the Effect of a Change in the Scheduling of Canadian Medical Licensing Examinations on Two Cohorts of Students Studying in Ireland. International Journal of Medical Students. 2015 Mar;3(1):40-4.
- Gouda P, Kitt K, Evans D, Goggin D, McGrath D, Last J, Hennessy M, Arnett R, O’Flynn S, Dunne F, O’Donovan D. (2015). Ireland’s Medical Brain Drain: Migration Intentions of Irish Medical Students. Human Resources for Health. 2015 Dec;13(1):11.
- Gouda P, Fanous S, Gouda J. Challenges Faced by International Medical Student Due to Changes in Entrance Exam Eligibility. International Journal of Medical Students. 2014;3(1), 70-71.
- Gouda P, Ezekowitz J. Do Anticoagulants or Antiplatelet Drugs Have a Role in Treating Heart Failure in the Absence of Atrial Fibrillation? Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2013;94(4), 435–438.
- Gouda P. Evidence-Based Tweeting in Cardiology: Unanswered questions and future directions. JACC: Heart Failure. 2018 May 31;6(5):439-40.
- Gouda P. The Need for Logbooks to Evolve in the Undergraduate medical setting. Perspectives on medical education. 2016 Feb 1;5(1):65.
- Gouda P, Bainey K, Welsh R. The demise of Morphine Oxygen Nitroglycerin Aspirin (MONA). Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2016 Dec 1;32(12):1578-e7.
- Gouda P. Response to Medical Students View on Selection Tools for Medical School. Irish Medical Journal. 2015;108(4), 98.
- Esmail T., Gouda P. Impact of Changes in Canadian Postgraduate Training on the Irish Health Service. Irish Medical Journal. 2016 Jan;108(1), 28
- Gouda P. Perspective on Studying Abroad. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2014 Sep 16;186(13):1017-8.
- Gouda P, Bakhet M. Enhancing the Student Surgical Learning Experience. International Journal of Medical Students. 2015;2(2):77-8.
- Gouda P, Campion J. Technology Trends in Medical Education. International Journal of Medical Students. 2014;2(1):26.
- Gouda P. When doctors go on strike, where do the medical students go? Irish Medical Journal, 2014;107(2) 59.
- Gouda P, Mahambo C, Coyle E, Ui Ghloinn S, Walkin S, Quinn R, Glynn L (2013). Treat or Refer? Factors affecting GP decisions. Forum. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/253650893_Treat_or_Refer_Factors_affecting_GP_decisions
- Gouda P. (2013) Ma’am, Can you lift your breast please? StudentBMJ. 2013 Dec 1;21.
- Gouda P, Savu A, Bainey K, Welsh, R, Kaul P, Sandhu R. Real-World Evidence on Short- and Long-Term Outcomes for Acute Coronary Syndrome Patients With A Prior History of Atrial Fibrillation. European Society of Cardiology Congress. Online 2020. [Rapid Fire Abstract].
- Gouda P, Aggarwal S, Martin B, Hauer T, Arena R, Galbraith D, Knudtson M, Wilton S, Har B. Incorporating Competitive Endurance Event Training in Cardiac Rehabilitation - Is it safe? Canadian Cardiology Congress. Vancouver 2017. [Moderated Presentation]
- Gouda P, Bishay P, Clark A, Ezekowitz J. Science and Twitter: The Canadian Cardiology Congress in 140 Characters. Canadian Cardiology Congress. Vancouver 2017. [Poster Presentation]
- Gouda P, Das D, Clark A, Ezekowitz J. The Impact of Social Media on Cardiovascular Medicine: Insights into Twitter's Sphere of Influence. Canadian Cardiology Congress. Montreal 2016. [Poster Presentation]
- Gouda P, Paterson C, Meyer S, Shanks M, Butler C, Taylor D, Tyrell B, Welsh R. Quality of Life and Frailty following Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation. Canadian Cardiology Congress. Montreal 2016. [Highlighted Poster]
- Gouda P, Podder M, Rowe B, McAlister F, Armstrong P, Ezekowitz J. Insights into the Importance of the ECG in Patients with Acute Heart Failure. Canadian Cardiology Congress. Vancouver 2014. [Poster Presentation]
- Gouda P, Kitt K, Evans D, Goggin D, McGrath D, Last J, Hennessy M, Arnett R, O’Flynn S, Dunne F, O’Donovan D. Leaving the Emerald Isle: factors Influencing Migration Intentions Among Medical Students. International Conference for Healthcare and Medical Students. Dublin 2014. [Oral Presentation]
- Heavey L, Gouda P, Moylett E. Susceptibility Patterns of Urinary E.Coli to Amoxicillin-Clavulanic Acid in the Paediatric Setting 2005-2013. Irish Paediatric Association Annual Meeting. Dublin 2014. [Poster Presentation]
- Gouda P, Kitt K, Evans D, Goggin D, McGrath D, Last J, Hennessy M, Arnett R, O’Flynn S, Dunne F, O’Donovan D. Irish Medical Brain Drain – Survey of the Migration Intentions of Irish Medical Students. StudentTalks. Galway 2014. [Oral Presentation]
- Gouda P, Kitt K, Evans D, Goggin D, McGrath D, Last J, Hennessy M, Arnett R, O’Flynn S, Dunne F, O’Donovan D. Off to Greener Pastures – A Survey of Irish Medical Students. Irish Network of Medical Educators 7th Annual Scientific Meeting. Belfast 2014. [Poster Presentation]
- Gouda P, Mahambo C, Coyle E, Ui Ghloinn S, Walkin S, Quinn R, Glynn L. Irish GP Referral Rates and Influencing Factors. 14th Annual Research Conference Sligo Regional Hospital. Sligo 2013.[Poster Presentation]
- Gouda P, Mahambo C., Coyle E., Ui Ghloinn S., Walkin S., Quinn R., Glynn L. Irish GP Referral Rates and Influencing Factors. International Conference for Healthcare and Medical Students. Dublin 2013.[Poster Presentation]
- Gouda P. Ramifications of Increasing Irish Medical School Class Sizes: a students perspective; Irish Network of Medical Educators 6th Annual Scientific Meeting. Dublin 2013. [Invited Speaker]