Toronto, ONT – IT and management consulting responsibility for manufacturing, not-for-profit, banking, financial services (primarily mutual funds and insurance), health care services, universities, and public sector clients based in Southern Ontario. Managed 20 consulting professionals on concurrent client engagements with project billings ranging $75-$350K. Key accountability included developing strategic information systems plans to support business goals. Technical member of the practice's forensic accounting team.
Relevant consulting assignments:
- Performed patient care system reviews and implementations at The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto East General Hospital, and Peterborough Civic Hospital.
- Trained and practiced in C&L’s proprietary SDLC methodology - SUMMIT-D.
- Acted as interim Controller of a $30 million vinyl siding subsidiary of Jannock Limited, Canada (client of Coopers & Lybrand). Appointed by the Vice President - Finance, Jannock Brick Group, to implement System Software Associates’ BPCS MRP II system on an IBM AS/400 and to manage the day-to-day activities of the accounting and information systems functions. The plant was located in Sardis, Mississippi. Discovered delinquency in sales and use tax payments and negotiated with state tax authorities to avoid Armor Bond fees and penalties in excess of $100K. Exposed and resolved discrepancies in payroll and accounting records including non-compliance with state withholding tax for the national sales force (9 salesmen, 7 states), errors in sales force bonus calculations, and unsubstantiated accounting accruals.
- Reviewed customer satisfaction levels of the Ontario government's centralized help desk function and recommended specific automation tools and service program improvements.
- Applied forensic accounting techniques using database tools and technologies for a Canadian insurance company to verify a $4 million robbery claim by a Toronto jewelry store by recreating inventory balances from purchase and sales records.
- Applied forensic accounting techniques using database tools and technologies for an Ontario municipality (City of Peterborough) to substantiate that a certain transit department employee embezzled more than $250 thousand in deposits over an 8 year period.
- Directed the planning phase to convert the Ontario Ministry of Colleges and Universities, Student Support Branch’s student loan system from an MVS/XA mainframe environment to an AS/400 platform, and to integrate imaging technology into the system.
- Planned the conversion of a mainframe student loan system to an AS/400 environment for the Ontario Ministry of Colleges and Universities (solution included imaging technology).
- Helped clients plan the implementation of Canada’s Goods and Services Tax. Key issues addressed included impact transactions had on applications and the changes necessary to accommodate the GST. Further, developed formal policies and procedures for client implementation.
- Managed computer operations (IBM System/36 -- RPG) for a distribution client in receivership.
- Developed a mutual funds audit application that processed financial data downloads from Reuters global data network.