- Control the video feed used by NHL goal judges to verify goals scored at Minnesota Wild games at the Xcel Energy Center
- Support the referee supervisor by bookmarking all penalties and key decisions for later review
- Support the statistics team by using replays to verify correct scoring and attribution
Digital Reporter and Desk Editor
Minnesota Wild / NHL
Soccer VAR Operator
December 2020November 2021
- Responsible for setting up the Video Assistant Referee system for all Minnesota United home games at Allianz Field
- Verify and troubleshoot as necessary all technical aspects of the Hawkeye system, including syncing cameras, testing audio quality to the field and ensuring network speed and connectivity
- Control the video feed used by VAR team, utilizing the best camera angles, speeds and procedures to support and facilitate sound referee decision-making
Various (see clips)
- A regular contributor to The Guardian and The Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC), New York Post, AFP, The Reformer and Sahan Journal
Accomplishments: In the aftermath of the killing of George Floyd, I produced both breaking news and in-depth features for the Washington Post, helped write and produce a podcast episode for the Australian Broadcasting Network and worked as a producer for a BBC Panorama documentary. I also co-wrote a piece for the Reformer in which we used interviews and scanner audio to show how police had shifted their response to the area around George Floyd Square. This article won a first-place award from the Minnesota Society of Professional Journalists for the best "Enterprise/In-Depth" single-story reporting pieces of 2020.
April 2018April 2020
- Produced breaking news, developing stories and follow-up analysis
- Filmed hosts and guests, produced videos for Facebook and Twitter
- Edited web posts for newsroom staff, including six reporters and four producers
- Produced/edited newsletters and managed Facebook accounts
Accomplishments: I was part of the writing and production team for "Denied Justice," an investigative podcast produced in collaboration with the Star Tribune, based on cases of rape that went uninvestigated by law enforcement authorities in Minnesota. It won the 2019 Marconi award for "Best Radio Podcast."
Social Media Journalist
Apr 2015June 2016
Public Radio International
- Covered international youth activism and refugee resettlement
- Worked with World In Words podcast team to make stories more visual and shareable
- Organized college forums on the Syrian refugee crisis at Macalester College and Harvard University
Accomplishments: I wrote several of the top shared posts for PRI in 2015, including two "How to Help," pieces (here and here) on the Syrian refugee crisis that reached over 500,000 unique viewers. Another feature I wrote on the refugee resettlement debate in Montana was highlighted by the Solutions Journalism Network as an example of "Solutions journalism."
Digital News Editor
Oct 2013Feb 2015
Fusion Media Network
- Edited freelance reporters and video producers across Latin America
- Helped produce videos for Facebook, Twitter and YouTube
- Worked closely with social media team to determine formats and strategy for stories
Accomplishments: I was the assignment editor for coverage of the 34 disappeared Ayotzinapa students in Mexico in 2014. Our team was the first to publish footage showing the students before they died in this video, which broke news in the U.S. and Mexico. I also field-produced a video from the Mall of America with the first large Black Lives Matter protest in Minnesota.
Editor in Chief
May 2012Oct 2013
The Sacramento Press
- Managed a small team of two reporters, a community editor, a copy editor and dozens of community contributors
- Helped devise strategy for recruiting community contributors and keeping them engaged
- Organized community journalism workshops on photography, writing and other topics
- Oversaw newsletter and social media strategy
Accomplishments: My team increased unique visitors by 18.45% (year over year) during budget cuts while launching new verticals that drove traffic, engagement and revenue.
Mar 2009Apr 2012
The Miami Herald
- Produced/edited homepage and morning newsletter for the leading new site in Florida
- Managed a network of at least 10 local blog partnerships across South Florida
- In partnership with the Herald, I founded a community journalism project, Open Media Miami, that produced the paper's first community contributor section and organized journalism workshops for the public
Accomplishments: The team I built with Open Media Miami helped double the audience for the Herald's downtown section, reaching over 100,000 viewers, and developed a loyal following of readers, contributors and sponsors/advertisers.
Dec 2007Aug 2008
The Goose Creek Gazette
- Covered crime and city politics, wrote features
- Took photographs for my own articles
Accomplishments: I won a first place South Carolina State Press Association award (the highest honor available for reporter at a newspaper of that scale in the state) for a three-part series on the case of Dan Hiers, a local police officer who, after he was charged with a molesting a minor, allegedly killed his Brazilian wife, Ludimila, before fleeing. I interviewed Ludimila's family in Portuguese, and was able to tell her story in a more complete and humanistic way that had been done previously.
Jan 2007Dec 2007
The Press and Standard
- Covered crime and local politics, writing 10-12 articles a week
- Took photographs for articles, contributed to quarterly glossy magazine
Accomplishments: I won a South Carolina Press Association award for a second day follow-up on a suspected gang shooting. The piece was a feature focused on a pastor who had intervened with neighborhood youths to prevent more violence.
- Trained in complex content management systems for online and print publishing
- Deeply familiar with SEO strategies and social headline writing
- Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Premier, Adobe Audition, Audacity, Omniture, Google Analytics, Doubleclick for Publishers
Portuguese: Fluent spoken
Spanish: Conversational, able to conduct interviews without a translator
Majored in Geography and Urban Studies with minors in Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies.