Director of Infrastructure & Networking
Wide Open West
Hired on to design and lead transformation of the Network and Systems Engineering departments from traditional equipment and processes to Next-Gen network and SaaS services. Work with department leaders to determine site by site needs. Perform a major tech debt consolidation effort and remove waste and deprecated equipment. Lead Chicago site relocation efforts, combining two locations into single location. Control move budget of $2M and an IT expense budget of $6M.
- Redesigned LAN network interconnecting 58 sites by engineering and implementing a cloud-based SD-WAN managed network solution, including creating a mesh network to absorb failures in WAN transport for continuing connectivity.
- Manage teams site surveys for design and requirement gathering
- Full project/plan documentation and diagrams
- Ensure configuration and port standardization across the sites
- Consistent BOM template for ordering accuracy
- Introduce DR and BC Plans to reduce RTO/RPO and risk
- Implemented regional network services compute stacks to increase performance of DNS, DHCP and AD lookups.
- Designing and managing transition from standard x386 VMWare environment to an HCI hybrid cloud solution utilizing cloud services out of AWS.