Tel Aviv University
M.Sc., Electrical Engineering, Tel Aviv University
Telecommunications, Network Communications, Mobile Wireless, and Internet Technologies Expert
Scientist, educator, and technologist with over 35 years of experience. He has co-authored over 25 scientific publications, journal articles, and peer-reviewed papers. Dr. Lavian served as an expert in network communications and telecommunications, including Internet protocols, streaming media, and mobile wireless technologies. He is an inventor of over 120 patents; over 60 prosecuted pro-se. He served as Principal Investigator (PI) for three US Department of Defense (DARPA) projects.
• Ph.D., Computer Science specializing in networking and communications, UC Berkeley
• M.Sc., Electrical Engineering, Tel Aviv University
• B.Sc., Mathematics and Computer Science, Tel Aviv University
Network communications, telecommunications, Internet protocols, and mobile wireless:
• Communication networks: Internet protocols; TCP/IP suite, TCP, UDP, IP, Ethernet, 802.3, network protocols, network software applications, data link, network, and transport layers (L2, L3, L4), packet switching, data center network architecture
• Mobile wireless: Wi-Fi, 802.11, Bluetooth, MAC, PHY, Wireless LAN (WLAN). Cellular systems, SMS, instant messaging (chat), mobile devices, smartphone
• Internet/cloud: Internet Technologies, Web applications, HTTP, e-mail, SMTP, POP, IMAP, Java, C/C++, file transfer FTP, client-server, cloud computing, distributed computing
• Routing/switching: LAN, WAN, VPN, routing protocols, RIP, BGP, MPLS, OSPF, multicast, DNS, QoS, network infrastructure, network communication architectures
• VoIP/Streaming Media: PSTN, circuit switching, IP telephony, VoIP, SIP, RTP, SS7, SONET, TDM, video/audio conferencing, streaming media.
Dr. Lavian has extensive experience in software development of network protocols, design, architecture, configurations, installation, and network testing. He has academic and hands-on experience in the above fields, including technology products from different companies, implementations, related standards, designs, hardware, systems, and software technologies.
Dr. Lavian served as an expert witness in over 140 patent-related cases, where he wrote expert reports and testified in over 80 depositions. He has testified in Federal courts, in front of judges and juries, USPTO PTAB IPR, and the ITC. The cases involved leading companies including Amazon, LinkedIn, Avaya, T-Mobile, AT&T, Ericsson, Sprint, Cisco Systems, Juniper Networks, Polycom, Motorola, HP, LG, WhatsApp, Instagram, Microsoft, Google, Huawei, Facebook, Samsung, and Apple.
M.Sc., Electrical Engineering, Tel Aviv University
Ph.D., Computer Science specializing in networking and communications, UC Berkeley
UC Berkeley SkyDeck, Industry Fellow, Lecturer, Visiting Scientist, Ph.D. Candidate, Nortel’s Scientist Liaison
Some positions and projects were concurrent, others sequential
• UC Berkeley SkyDeck startups - advanced technology research, development, business, and market
• Industry fellow and lecturer at the Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship and Technology (SCET).
• Conducted research projects in data centers (RAD Labs), telecommunication infrastructure (SAHARA), and wireless systems (ICEBERG)
• Acted as a scientific liaison between Nortel Research Lab and UC Berkeley, providing tangible value in advanced technologies
• Developed long-term technology for the enterprise market, integrating communication and computing technologies
• Studied network services, telecommunication systems and software, communications infrastructure, and data centers
• Earned a Ph.D. in Computer Science with a specialization in communications and networking
Aybell transforms smartphones into visual menu systems, making the phone a frictionless point for user interactions with all customer service platforms’ features. Empowers consumers to reach the right agents in call centers, overcoming customer service barriers. Aybell is a branding and marketing of VisuMenu advanced technologies.
• Architecture, design, and implementation of a cloud data center for connecting any smartphone user to any company and service by digitizing interactive voice systems and exposing through cloud-service APIs to other applications
• The system was deployed as a cloud networking and cloud computing service on Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
• Technologies include Data Science analytics, Machine Learning (ML), Artificial Intelligence (AI), and Statistical Learning (SL). Building an NLP Parser using Python, NLTK, SpaCy, and other NLP libraries and modules
Led the software design and development of a visual IVR system for smartphones and mobile devices, based on an innovative use of wireless and network communications technologies
• Design of a search engine for IVR / PBX using Asterisk, SIP, and VoIP
• The system was deployed as a cloud networking and cloud computing service on Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
• VisuMenu advanced technologies rebranded as Aybell.
CRadar.Ai improves the Radar wireless RF signal phase noise purity by 100x
• Accurate Radars are paramount for self-driving car safety. Radars “see” where Cameras and LiDars are “blind” (fog, rain, snow, direct sunlight, and darkness)
The superior wireless RF signal quality provides a clean signal for high Radar accuracy
• Improving Radar accuracy and resolution enables genuine redundancy, sensory fusion and puts the Radar into the sensory spearhead
Researched and developed advanced network communications testing technologies:
• IxNetwork/IxN2X —IP routing and switching devices and broadband access equipment. Provided traffic generation and emulation for the full range of protocols: OSPF, RIP, EIGRP, BGP, IS-IS, MPLS, unicast, multicast, broadcast, layer 2/3 VPNs, IPSec, carrier Ethernet, broadband access, and data center bridging. Tested and validated IEEE, ITU, and IETF RFC standards compatibility
• IxLoad — quickly and accurately modeled high-volume video, data, and voice subscribers and servers to test the real-world performance of multiservice delivery and security platforms
• IxCatapult — emulated a broad range of wireless access and core protocols to test wireless components and systems that, when combined with IxLoad, provides an end-to-end solution for testing wireless service quality
• IxVeriWave — employed a client-centric model to test Wi-Fi and wireless LAN networks by generating repeatable large-scale, real-world test scenarios that are virtually impossible to create by any other means
• Test automation — provide simple, comprehensive lab automation to help test engineering teams create, organize, catalog, and schedule execution of tests
Originally employed by Bay Networks, which was acquired by Nortel Networks Principal Scientist, Principal Architect, Principal Engineer, Senior Software Engineer
Principal Investigator for US Department of Defense (DARPA) Projects
Academic and Industrial Researcher
Researched and developed the following projects:
Technology Innovator and Patent Leader
Start-up company focused on mobile wireless CDMA spread spectrum PCN/PCS
Software Engineer, Team Leader
Software and hardware company acquired by Hewlett Packard (HP)
• Developed system and network communications in C/C++
• I provided IT services, System Administration, and network administration.
• I worked on Unix systems, including IBM AIX, HP, and SUN Unix.
• Invented Parallel SIMD Architecture
• Participated in the Technology Innovation group
Start-up company Software Engineer Developed real-time software and algorithms mainly in C/C++ and Pascal